Thursday, June 28, 2007

Welcome To My Home

Updated: April 2009

I decided to update this post as I have changed so many things in the past, almost two years! You can see more home tours by visiting Keeping The Home (the list is under her own home tour).

I love to see other people's homes! Is that odd? A person's home speaks of who they are. I have seen homes with 4 rooms that said, "welcome" and homes with 20 rooms that cried , "not welcome." I try very hard to make my home a welcoming place for any who enter, but especially for those who live here. In my adult, married life, I have lived in a one bedroom apartment, a mobile home, a 3 bedroom cape cod, a 3 bedroom split level and this 2 story home I live in currently. In every home I have ever lived in, one thing stays the same. It is home! So once again, welcome to my home.When you come through the front door, you will come into the entryway. I change things here so often that it would probably never look the same on any two visits!
To the left is the formal dining room.To the right is the formal living room, though we use it as any other room, so I hesitate to call it "formal". This is one of 2 rooms on the list to be painted. We can not decide on a color...what do you think?Down the hall through the entryway is a coat closet and the powder/guest bathroom.From there you enter the eating area. This is where we home school and eat most of our meals. I change things in here a lot too. From table cloths, quilts, place mats and table runners...always something different.
The sliding glass doors going out to the back yard are in this room. To the right of the eating area is the family room. This also opens to the formal living room. We spend a lot of time here. We love our heritage library.To the left of the eating area is the kitchen. Here is where I almost live!I love a clean sink!!!!!
I love clean counters too. My kitchen is open to a large part of my house, so I need to keep it clean and uncluttered. I change things on my counters pretty regularly too.My aprons hang on the side of the pantry.
From here you go to the back hallway and the laundry room. That same hallway enters the formal dining room. The main level of our home is like one big circle. The laundry area is more like a closet. I keep cleaning supplies here also.The back hallway leads to the garage. There is also a large closet which we converted to a pantry and the opposite wall holds my sign collection.That is the main floor. Recently, we finished a room in the basement. There is a door next to the powder bathroom which takes you downstairs. We call it "The Man Room" because it was where Sweetheart would hang out. Our kids have some how taken it over.My son Kyle has a room downstairs also. He likes his own space! Can you tell he is patriotic?Let's head back upstairs to the second floor.Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Here is my 11 year old daughter's room.My 7 year old son's room....In the hallway there is a linen closet. I converted it into our home school closet. It is perfect for all our supplies.The kids bathroom....Here is the office/sewing room. It is my favorite room in the house. It has a story all it's own which you can read about here. By the way, I have a number of sewing room/studio tours listed on my sidebar. If you have a tour of your own sewing room/studio, please let me know so I can add you to the list. You do not need a "room"...just a space where you create!Finally, my (and Sweetheart's) bedroom and bathroom. This is the other room in the house that needs painting. I am making a pink and brown quilt for this bed and plan to paint the room a soft brown. The quilt on the bed (under the top quilt) is so worn I had to cover it with this smaller quilt. Yeesh, that top quilt has been all over my house!! From the kitchen table to the family room to the bedroom! It sure gets around!That is my upper level.

I hope you enjoyed your visit! Don't forget to let me know if you do a home tour! Come back soon!!!Blessings, Bren

19 comments:

Jeanne said...

You have a lovely home! FlyLady seems to be working for you, too. Thanks for sharing and inviting us in today.

Unknown said...

Bren what a lovely home you have and I couldn't peek, you had the container hidden....lol...

Sue said...

Great pics! It seems like forever since I've been there, looking forward to seeing you again in a few weeks :)

Rose Marie said...

You have a lovely home ... thanks for sharing! Fly Lady is wonderful to help us keep our homes neat.

Darlene said...

You have a lovely home, Bren! It says "come on in and sit a spell". Thanks for sharing!

meggie said...

Your home is just Beautiful!! It looks very inviting, & comfortable, as well as neat!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the invitation to your home, it looks just lovely and so tidy and clean not that I supposed it would be a messy one LOL

Belvie said...

Thanks for sharing! What a lovely home that is so neat and clean. Looks very nicely decorated to me. It looks like a "home" not a house. In my opinion there is a big difference in those two words.

Now..as soon as the movers take my kids belonging, I'm going to have to try the FlyLady methods to see if I can keep mine as clean as your!

Libby said...

Looks like a very comfy, happy home - thanks for taking us on a tour *s*

Joni said...

I love your home Bren! You are so brave to show it off too! Good for you!! It looks like a great place to raise your family.

Journeying said...

Your home is lovely and so inviting. Thank you for showing it to us. I love your colors and your pictures and your arrangement of things. I'm going to have to look into your archives for your sewing room now!
I love FlyLady and read all the emails but haven't yet gotten off the ground. Looking at your success will help inspire me.
Thank you!

Pam said...

You have a very lovely home. Thanks for the tour :))

I am not sure what Flylady is - I will have to check out the link.

Robin said...

Oh Bren! I love your house! Everything is so homey and cozy....

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful home! I love your Victorian style - yet the whole house has such a homey and welcoming feel. Very pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Rose said...

You have a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing
And, You're not alone with loving a clean shiny sink.

Anonymous said...

Your home is beautiful. Thank you for the tour.

Blessings

Divamom said...

Thanks for sharing! Your home is beautiful. It inspires me to get to moving around mine and make it pretty!

Be Blessed!
~Chondra

Julie Tyra said...

Hi, I was looking in the internet for ideas on sewing rooms and then stumbled onto your blog, are you from Oakhurst? I am from Mariposa! I love your "homey" home and sewing room, thanks for sharing! -Julie

Quiltz said...

Truly welcoming and obviously full of love! Thanks for the tour!