Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tackle It Tuesday

You all know how much I enjoy Tackle It Tuesday! What can I tackle this week? I had posted a picture yesterday on my home school blog of a sink full of tomatoes. Ann, who is an excellent homemaker, left a comment about how clean my sink was. You all know I am a flybaby, so I shine my sink everyday. What does it take to shine a sink? I am so glad you asked!!! It is SO simple. You just wipe it out and dry it out! The first thing you need to do is to start with a clean sink. Flylady has her own technique and you can go to her site via the link on her name to find it out. Since I became light green, I cannot use her method. Here is my own, which is my tackle today. It has been a long time since I did it.


1) Fill your sinks with HOT water, 2 cups of vinegar and a splash of baking soda. Watch out not to overflow this reaction. Put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the sinks (optional). Let set for 1 hour.
2) Pull the plug and take a scotch brand scouring pad (picture below) loaded with dish soap (hopefully, plant based) and scrub. Rinse with clean water. Wipe dry. It's DONE!

Now if you take that scotch brand pad and scrub out your sinks once a day (which I am sure you do with a rag or sponge anyway) your sink will stay SO shiny. I wipe mine with a dry dish towel everytime I use it. After the tackle today, my sinks looked no different than before, because the magic bullet is the scotch pad. Today's process just disinfects and clears the drain to boot! The scouring pads are cheap and I cut them to size. My sinks are stainless steel, so if you have ceramic sinks, you may need to test this. I know the vinegar and baking soda are safe for all surfaces except marble. A clean sink will make a messy kitchen seem cleaner. A spotless kitchen with a dirty sink, will not look or feel clean.
I set out a new dish cloth and dish towel every night. The dish towel I used the day before becomes my sink towel. Everytime I use the sink, I dry it out....easy as 1,2...there is no 3!

UPDATE: To see what I do once a week to my sink, visit this post. The above is done once a month.

7 comments:

Knit-Wit said...

I have all the ingredients on hand for a clean sink so I will have to try this. Hopefully it will work on the nasty stainless steel fridge I inherited with this house (shows every finger print and won't attract magnets).

Bren, if you came to my kitchen, you would just shudder at how dirty my sink always is.

Kim West said...

I need to do that to my sink. I dry it out every night as well, but I have not "shined" it yet.

Solstitches said...

My sink is white with a matt surface so I wouldn't be able to shine it but I might try your green recipe for cleaning material.
I'm not sure what drying the sink out is supposed to do?

Unknown said...

Wow how spotless and shiny your sink is. Your tackle it days are a great idea.

meggie said...

I think your sink looks excellent!
I think I may have mentioned before, but pantyhose make the most excellent cleaner for a stainless steel anything. And you dont need to add cleaners or anything- they act like polish to stainless steel.

Jenny said...

I have to try this.

Tazzie said...

Flylady would be proud of you Bren - I love that woman, she's changed my life!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)