Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My New Digs

Phase 2 is complete, and I am officially moved into my new sewing room/office. In case you had not guessed, I am now in the "Man Room" which is the room Sweetheart finished in our basement last winter. I love this room as the color is so peaceful and the room is so large. It measures 13x24 feet. Exactly twice the size of my last sewing room, which was 13x12. At the front of the room is the office area. There is a desk (courtesy of Kyle) and the little TV stand.
One of the down sides to this room is the lighting. It is awful. I have wonderful lamps that really brighten it up for sewing, but for picture taking it is just a glare, so forgive the dark photos.
On the shorter inside wall (the one with the doorway) I have Ugly Betty, my treadmill and will also put my weight bench and weights just behind her. The TV stand is directly in front of the treadmill, so I have no reason to not get on her!!!
The large wall is the sewing area. I did have to store Grandma's table, as the 9 foot banquet table was much more functional for me.
Now I was not liking that look AT ALL. I miss the closet, but the table had enough space to house my boxes of supplies underneath. Still it looked messy to me. I decided to make a "curtain" to hide the mess.
Much better. My grandma's hutch is also being used to store supplies, when in the past, it housed very little in those drawers. My fabric drawers are at the end of the table, which is also the cutting end. It fits perfectly there. I did not want to cover the ends of the table with the curtain so I could have that drawer system there. My design wall is at that end of the table also....you can see it in the corner of the picture.From the other end of the table you can see where the office area is. Also that large white board on the wall....that is the design board, empty for the moment.It is a good move, I think. Now tomorrow starts Phase 3. Removing that wallpaper border that I loved so much, and taping....maybe some paint will even find it's way onto the wall tomorrow. We are expecting 8-12 inches of snow starting tonight, so I think it will be the perfect day to paint! Right now, I am going to get the next piecing project up on that design wall. I'll be back to show you Phase 3 of the big project in the next couple of days. Until then, be blessed!
(To see the old sewing room click here)

18 comments:

copperswife said...

Such awesome space!! I love that you can use the hutch for quilting supplies, fabric, etc., of course I'm always thrilled when form and function coexist! I can't wait to see the next step of this project unfold.

Sue said...

It looks GREAT! What a large, open, wonderful space. I'm sure you'll get a lot accomplished in there!

Can't wait to see Phase III!

Kathryn said...

Just take those photos that you think are dark, and run them through Picasa, a free online photo editing service. You can lighten them up lickety split there. I thought your photos looked fine, but there's an option...

Canarella said...

oh who cares about the light what a great space...congrats girlfriend...god bless

Libby said...

Wow! Ya'll have been busy! and well worth it! The room looks great! It is a big room but it still has a warm and cozy feel to it! I know that you will enjoy your time in there sewing! Enjoy!
Libby

Unknown said...

Well aren't you the lucky one with all that extra space? Now in all of this you haven't said the reason for the huge move??

Unknown said...

oh i love your sewing room, so nice

Crispy said...

A lovely new space Bren!! How does Kyle like his new digs?

Crispy

~JoAnn~ said...

Bren~ Love your new area so nice to have all that space, but it also just makes me sick to see it all done and organized.
Blessings,Joann

Jan said...

What a nice big space you now have , everything fits in so well---looks lovely! Enjoy yourself!!!!!

Rose Marie said...

What a fantastic sewing room! I'm looking at all that space ... you probably have enough open area to lay a quilt on the floor for sandwiching together? Happy sewing.

Unknown said...

I suspected you would move into the basement! It looks really good, and my goodness that was a lot of work!

Pam said...

Hi. I just found my way here from Copper's Wife. LOVE your Grandmother's hutch filled with quilts!!

Blessings...
Pam in TN
www.RealWomenQuilt.com

Niki said...

I can't believe the huge difference the cutain makes! The whole space looks just perfect, enjoy it!
blessings,
Niki

Homeschool Diva said...

The room looks great!! I love the color and the skirt you did for the table.

Love Bears All Things said...

I like your curtain on the table. I've been talking of doing that to my table, maybe putting it on with velcro.
I need to see if I can find plastic drawers like that for my stash which has outgrown the two little red suitcases.
How will you feel about working down there so far from family activity?
Mama Bear

Jocelyn said...

Wow I love your sewing area. Lots of room and it is looking so organized. Enjoy your time there.

Unknown said...

I love your new sewing room, so big.