Friday, September 14, 2007

It's Chilly! and It's Chili!

It is really chilly outside, so I thought I'd make a pot of chili and a loaf of fresh bread for dinner. I don't make chili all summer and felt a craving for it. There are some really picky eaters in my family, but the only ones who do not care for chili are Bud and Rachel. Since they don't live here, it was a nice treat to make something that everyone would eat.

So, I learned a new word today. Godet.
It is pronounced Go-day. Maybe you all have heard of it. Don't ask me what it is. It appears to be the name for the gazillion triangle shaped panels in my skirt pattern. I should have figured 5 yards of fabric was not going to be a couple of panels sewn together. I have been informed by Linda that my skirt is an intermediate/advanced pattern. Go figure! I had this image in my head of an afternoon of skirt making, after which I would be twirling in my newly created skirt around my kitchen preparing Chili and homemade bread for my family...can you hear the background music?? Me neither, cause it is not happening! But I am not giving up. It will just be a weekend project.

So it is a bump in the road, but not a total bust! I will have a new skirt! For now, I am off to do my 1 hour of reading that is for ME and not a 4th grade book. I am doing a study in the first few books of the Old Testament. It really gives great insight to God's desires and His thoughts toward His people. It is also very deep and takes much concentration and a clear head. A definite must is that the kids are in bed and they are on their way!! I will check in on the weekend and show you my godets!!

13 comments:

Lily Mulholland said...

I love chili!

And good luck with God and your godets! Don't rush either of them :)

Kim said...

Yum! Chili sounds soooo good! Making clothes? Not so much! LOL! Good luck with that! I haven't even tried in years, but I sure admire anyone who can sew clothes!

Pam said...

The chili does look good!!

It is so much different to make clothes - the pieces are so much bigger. I don't mind making clothes - I used to make clothes all the time. I just hate cutting out the pattern and you're right about the little triangles - they can be a lot of work cutting around them. I had no idea what they were called. Very interesting :))

meggie said...

Good luck with your skirt! It sounds like you have a good bank of friends to help.
the Chili looks interesting. I just like it about once a fortnight.
I can really relate to the hot flushes, & thought that pic looks far too realistic!!!!

Jenny said...

Go Bren! If you succeed I mean when you succeed on that skirt it will inspire the rest of us to try something challenging. Keep that in mind if times get tough. I love chili. It's great the next day over french fries with cheese and sour cream.

Juliann in WA said...

That skirt will be lovely when finished. I say just stick with it. And the chili - yum - one of my favorite fall foods.

Solstitches said...

Thanks for the smile :) I love the picture you painted of you twirling round the kitchen in your new skirt.
Now you have me wanting to make chili but I'll skip making the bread because I don't have a bread maker. Some cornbread might be nice.........

Sue said...

You can do it! Remember our clothing sewing days many years ago? I do, I might still have that sweatshirt dress floating around here somewhere, LOL.

And those dish cloths...how I'd LOVE to find that pattern! I would knit dishcloths if I could make those adorable round ones!

Have fun with your skirt, I know you can do it :)

Knit-Wit said...

Isn't is funny how they have names for all these little things in our clothes? I learned what a gusset was when I started knitting socks - who knew socks had a gusset?

I love chili - I'm a little gun shy in making it, though, since DD1's UC. Not sure how she'll handle all the beans. Guess there's only one way to find out...

Knit-Wit said...

Come and get your new, well deserved award. Hope it brings you a smile!

Sweet P said...

Mmmmm . . . chili . . . I love chili. I'm waiting for cooler weather to make some. Actually tomorrow might be cool enough for chili and since football is on I just might make a big pot of chili.

I haven't sewn clothes since I was in junior high and I'm not sure I want to start. I can't wait to see your new skirt.

Unknown said...

That is the right spirit, just a bump in the road. You will have a skirt to show us in a few days.

Finn said...

Hi Bren, you know, that cold snap the week before last did the same thing to me....wake up the 'chili cravings'...LOL. So I listened to that inner voice and made a nice big pot. Freezes well for a one person household like mine *VBS*
Love the look of your skirt, it should be sensational to wear, and swirl in..*VBS* Good luck with all those pieces!! I'm sure you'll do fine! Keep up the great work and readings, and so happy you liked what came from Hamilton. I don't recomment something very often, I have to be really sure it is what is seems to be first..and with them..there is ALSO that 100%, no questions, no re-stocking fee guarantee! I've never needed it, but it's nice to know. Hugs, Finn