Monday, November 12, 2007

A True Gentleman

How many of you have seen this picture before. It is pretty famous, along with several others like it. I want to share something that Pastor Maynard shared yesterday in church. I will rarely do this, but it was so eye opening I wanted to share it with you. This is for Christians and non-Christians alike. Both those who want a relationship with Christ and those who don't, will find this to their liking. Take a good look at the picture....what is missing? Yes, a doorknob!! Is that strange? I never noticed it before it was pointed out during the message Sunday morning. I knew the Lord was a gentleman...he never pushes himself on anyone. HUMANS push God, but God does not ever push Himself. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice AND opens the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me." (Emphasis is my own) Revelation 3:20 That is the scripture (words of Christ) this picture is based on. What He means is He is at the door of all our hearts. If we hear Him (are you listening) AND we open the door (He will not invite Himself in) He will enter and sup (dine...commune...visit...etc) with us. In other words He can be a stranger or your best friend. It is totally up to you. That is why there is no doorknob on His side of the door. YOU need to do the opening. How often have we waited on God, only to realize He was waiting for us to invite Him in? He is a gentleman. We all know pushy Christians. They are not bad people, just people who want to share something wonderful and they have not matured enough to realize that God's way is not pushy. Goodness, when I first came to know Jesus, my husband did not need to go to church with me. During that first 6 months I came home and preached the entire message and added my own insights along with the Pastors. I am surprised I did not have a pulpit in the living room! Horrid!! But my God, and my Sweet Hubby, loved me enough to be patient and I learned to not judge and be more gentle and quiet. Well, more gentle, anyway. So the good news for everyone....God is at the door, but He is a gentleman. You can let Him in or not. He will not force His way into your life, but when you want Him to be, He will be there instantly, ready to commune with you. (and you don't have to clean up before He comes in... He will take care of that)

6 comments:

Jan said...

Amen, Bren. It's so true! PTL!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Bren.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

SuBee said...

Beautiful message and so well spoken, Thank you!
(Our Pastor is Maynard also! First name instead of last, and equally beloved)

Knit-Wit said...

A good reminder. Thanks Bren!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Loved that post, especially you repeating the sermon!
Great lot of cooking going on there as well, I can smell that home cooked garlic bread form here!Tracey

Lib said...

Wonderful, Wonderful Post!!!!!
I enjoy visiting you so much:o)
Blessins',Lib