Thursday, June 18, 2009

Italian Comfort Food


There is not a drop of Italian blood in this house, but we find such comfort in Italian foods. My husband's favorite is Lasagna and Garlic bread. It is what we consider "homemade" though I use a jar sauce...my family is hooked on Prego! I simply layer cooked noodles with a sauce mixture...ground chuck browned with onion and garlic, salt and pepper, Prego (of course) and some cottage cheese (optional)....

....top that layer with grated mozzarella and start all over again.

Once the 6 layers are there (2 each of noodles, sauce and cheese) you just bake it, uncovered, in the oven at 350 til it is bubbly and the cheese is melted...about 40 minutes. I made an extra large pan...it was so heavy that Sweetheart had to take it out of the oven. It contained 8 cups of cheese! It was wonderful last night with the toasted garlic bread. There is more than 1/2 left over for tonight's dinner, which is good because this lasagna is better the next day! I will serve it with fresh baked homemade white bread and butter...if you are going for comfort, just do it already!
I spent much of today cleaning my sewing room. It was totally trashed. I am getting ready to baste this little table topper I am making for a friend. I think I will pin baste it. It is only 20"x20". These are some of my favorite fabrics!
Tomorrow evening, I will draw the winner of my 2 year blogoversary giveaway. If you have not entered, please go back to this post and leave a comment.

Now I am going to sit down with a cup of coffee and work on the binding for Casey's sunflower quilt...her birthday is next week!
Be Blessed,
Bren

12 comments:

candy said...

Looks so good!
Hi! Ive been enjoying your blog for a while now :)

Candyfaith

Susan said...

We make lasagna the same way! Last night I made chicken lasagna, same concept as the beef, except I use shredded chicken and alfredo sauce. My kids LOVE this, although my husband isn't so much a fan.

Looking forward to your anniversary drawing . . . hope it's me! LOL ;)

Love Bears All Things said...

I love Italian food. My Lasagna recipe makes a 13X9 dish and is way too much for two people so I don't make it unless there is a get together or guests. I usually don't add meat to mine, just the sauce, cheese mixture with mozzarella & Ricotta, and uncooked noodles. I also use Prego and try the different combinations. The lasagna also freezes well and I can do that to half if it is just Honey Bear and I. I see in your comments about using chicken and Alfredo sauce. I think I'll try that sometime.
Now, you've made me hungry. Tomorrow is weigh in day for me and I've eating some extra things this week. No sweets so far but I am wanting me some chocolate. It has been 3 months since I've had any.
Mama Bear

Nancy said...

I also use cottage cheese (to stretch the grocery dollar)but my family didn't like the chunks it left. Now I put the cottage cheese in the food processor with one egg and use it. It's nice and creamy just like it's more expensive cousin Ricotti....

Andrea Cherie said...

Oh Italian food sounds wonderful right now! Even at 3:15 in the afternoon! Not as "light" as the delicious salad I am planning to make for dinner tonight though :( ...if only...

copperswife said...

Oh, man, that looks good! We love garlic bread and fix it quite often. I've not made lasagna in awhile, but yours makes me think one is in our near future!

The table topper is pretty!

Winona said...

Oh Bren, you have me drooling. I love garlic bread and lasagna. (big sigh) I have to really limit my wheat consumption. If I overdo it, I have a terrible arthritis flare-up. Your little table runner is so cute, lovely fabric choices. Have a good day, my friend. Winona

Libby said...

I'm hungry! and that looks soooo good!

Wendy said...

Your lasagna looks yummy! I used to make it more when the girls were younger. I would use Italian sausage with the ground beef and also mixed an egg and some Parmesan cheese with the cottage cheese to help firm up the lasagna. oh yummm now when I make it I take the left overs and cut it into individual portions and freeze them separately so I can take out just enough.

moreofhim said...

We love Prego, too! Your lasagna looks so much like mine, except I use Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. Now you've made me hungry for lasagna! lol

Your table topper is just gorgeous! Love your choice of fabrics and colors.

I spent the last 30 minutes catching up on what's been happening with you. I haven't been by in a while again. So much going on with me (stop by my blog to read about it) but soon, I hope I can get back to my normal life.

Take care, dear friend and God bless you! - Julie

Michele said...

Mmmm! Looks yummy and your quilt is so pretty, I love the colors!

Unknown said...

What is Prego? Your lasagna looks great.